"Buckley" Airgun Details & Pictures Making the Airgun

 

On this page will be showcasing the making of the airgun I designed using Buckley's reservoir design as a base. There are still a few things to be worked out in the design as I make the airgun. I was going to build three, but decided on two. The reason being I have enough material to make an additional two rifles and can finalize the design and make the others using all the improvements from the first two airguns.

 

March 21 - 2009

 

Last night I worked till 9:30 pm. I had a chance to work on the actions for the two rifles I am making. Unfortunately I could not finish the 1.0 inch bore. We have boring bars but do not work well in the mill. I would like to do it on the lathe we have, but my dad isn't keen on switching chucks on a big lathe because of accuracy. So I may outsource the bore. I did finish the barrel bore. Got a good snug fit between bore and barrel. Will be using three set screws and possibly some lock tight when complete. Also, if I do get the aluminum parts anodized, I am sure that will add some material for a tighter fit?Action block for the airgun was placed in a vise. Proceeded to drilled through under size. I used a CNC mill so I could circle interpolate the holes. Basically make a CAM program for the CNC machine to read and move the tool in a circular path.

 

makeairgun12

 

makeairgun13

 

makeairgun14

 

Here I was checking the fit of the barrel. A few more thousands of an inch and the barrel started to slide in. If I had taken one more thousands of an inch (0.001") the barrel would have been to loose. Aluminum machines easily so really watch your increments when machining.

 

makeairgun15

 

makeairgun16

 

makeairgun17

 

I need to make some changes on the grib-trigger mount. A little to wide for comfort. 
Will make those changes soon. I have added the copyright to all pictures. Mainly 
to support Mr. Buckley's design, as well as the changes I have made. I am taking more
pictures then I show and may use them to create my own book in the future with complete 
plans. Send me an email if that would be of interest. Thanks for reading.

 

March 14 - 2009

 

Got to the shop at 11:00 am. Worked on a customer job till 1:00 pm and then setup
to cut and square the aluminum blocks that will will be used for the actions of the
airguns. I had 1.5 X 4" alumium on hand, and only needed 1.5 X 3" so cut off an inch
to save on machining and perhaps use the cutoffs for something else?

 

makeairgun1

 

Action blocks for the air rifle squared up and milled to size.

 

makeairgun6

 

Created a layout of the two trigger guard - grip frame. Helped in figuring out how to mill the grip bodies. Most of our clamps for work holding were used up on our big mill so I improvised using a vise.

 

makeairgun8

 

Milling the trigger guard-grip frame profiles.

 

makeairgun9

 

One trigger guard-grip frame profile complete. The other needs a little milling.
I ran out of time. Still need to create a recess for wood grips, screw holes, mill
slots etc.

 

makeairgun10

 

makeairgun11

 

Hoping I can get more done during the next week as time allows. Will try to update this page weekly to show progress on the airgun making.